Wednesday, November 5, 2008

One Truly Historic Moment!

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 should be noted in future history books as The Day America Changed. Last night, tears were streaming down my face as I watched the joy on the faces of Americans everywhere. Not only was the first African-American man elected President by a country that has been known for its racism and division in the past, but Americans young and old, black and white, yellow and brown, gay and straight, rejoiced TOGETHER. The future is calling and it's screaming "CHANGE".

I am BLOWN AWAY by and PROUD of the overwhelming amount of joy and celebration that was evident last night, all across America. Americans - black, white, yellow and brown; gay, straight, undecided - all were standing shoulder-to-shoulder at Grant Park in Chicago, IL to listen to the acceptance speech of a lifetime from Barack Obama. Americans in Times Square were celebrating as if it was New Year's Eve...

We stayed up to watch the election results, as I'm sure many did, but continued to watch past midnight as the media showed the partying in the streets in Chicago, NY, DC, San Diego... it was simply amazing to watch ... more happiness and tears of joy than New Year's Eve. I saw Hope in the eyes of revelers; now that's something different... and it's wonderful to see this.

I am excited
for our children's future now. Sure, I'm excited for our own future, too. But, since the birth of my own child, my decisions have been led by my desire to make the world a better place for my child.

And in a way, it WAS New Year's Eve last night. The Eve of a new generation of CHANGE.

Yes we CAN!

No comments: